The National Fire Protection Association states that faulty wiring and other electrical malfunctions cause approximately 440 deaths and 1,250 injuries annually. Faulty wiring and electrical malfunctions are also responsible for billions of dollars being spent each year in remediating property damage. To keep yourself and your family safe, it is essential that you know the following six signs you have faulty wiring in your home.
1. Your Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
A circuit breaker tripping occasionally is not too much of a concern. Circuit breakers are designed to trip to prevent an electrical fire when the circuit is overloaded. In these instances, all you need to do is decrease the load on the circuit, and all will be well.
Breaker tripping is a problem when it occurs multiple times in one month even though the circuit is not overloaded. If your circuit breaker is tripping frequently, this is a sign that something serious is wrong with the wiring in your home.
2. Your Lights Flicker, Buzz, or Go Dim
If you notice that your lights flicker or dim when you turn on appliances, this is also a sign that your home’s wiring needs attention. The same is true if your lights make a buzzing sound upon turning them on.
3.You Notice the Smell of Burning or Other Strange Odors
Keep an eye out for odors that smell like smoke or burning plastic. If you notice these odors around your outlets or near your breaker box, your wiring is either damaged or faulty.
4. Your Wall Outlets Vibrate or Are Warm to the Touch
Feel your wall outlets from time to time. If you notice that your outlets are vibrating or are warm to the touch, your home’s wiring is faulty or damaged.
5. Check for Burnt or Discolored Outlets
If any of your outlets have burnt marks or are discolored, your wiring is damaged and incorrectly producing heat. If these damaged wires are continuing to produce heat, this can lead to further damage. Electrical fires can result, causing a loss of property or life.
6. You Find Wires That Have Been Frayed or Chewed
Rodents are usually the cause of frayed or chewed wires, as they hide inside walls and chew on various things to make their nests. Frayed or chewed wiring is always a serious problem because this leads to electrical shortages that eventually create fires.
Faulty wiring is never a problem you can ignore. If you spot any of these signs in your home, you need to get help from a professional electrician immediately. If you reside in El Paso, TX or the surrounding areas and need home rewiring, lighting installation, or another electrical service, contact Secure Contractors.