Basic Safety Rules of Electricity

Electricity is one of humanity’s many wonders. As a basic necessity for living our everyday lives, we use electricity to power our homes, businesses, hospitals, and the list goes on. Electricity is vital to society and it’s hard to imagine how there ever was one without it. We need it, for almost everything and we cannot live life without it. It’s in almost all of our homes and it is essential to us. With electricity everywhere, safety protocols need to be in place. Electricity can be very dangerous, so it’s important that everyone handle it safely and securely so that you don’t get shocked or even electrocuted. 

Don’t Overload Your Sockets

A damaged electrical socket can cause shocks and even housefires. If you have a faulty socket, it can also damage any appliances or devices that you may have plugged into it. A messed up electrical socket can fry them and burn them. Your electrical socket should be cool to the touch, have protective faceplates, and be in proper working order. If one of these aspects is missing from your electrical sockets, we recommend that you call an electrician to fix it for you in order to prevent any future problems. Do not try to fix this yourself unless you are a licensed electrician, because electricity is dangerous.

No Damaged Electrical Cords

Damaged electrical cords have no place in your home. Having damaged electrical cords can increase your chances of getting shocked and electrocuted and getting an electrical fire. It is very important that you regularly check your wires and cables for fraying, tearing, cracking, or other kinds of damage. There are moldable glues sold that can help you fix these issues if they haven’t gotten too big, but if the damage is too large, just replace the entire cable. Please do not staple your power cords and cables into place or run them under rugs and furniture. Cords under rugs can overheat and are a tripping hazard. Furniture can crush cords and cord insulation, damaging the wires inside. 

Unplug Appliances Not In Use

Unplugging appliances when you are not using them is a good habit to have for multiple reasons. First of all, it can save you money on your electric bill because this reduces what is referred to as a phantom drain. Phantom drain is the amount of energy a device consumers when plugged in but not actively in use. Secondly, unplugging your appliances and devices while they are not in use prevents them from overheating and power surges. The overheating of appliances can cause fires and there is little hope for the survival of any devices that go through a power surge. Unplugging your appliances when you’re not using them, is just a good habit to build and keep in order to always stay on the safe side. You can never be too careful, and it only takes a second to unplug a device. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Be Aware of Heaters

Things that have heat can catch on fire. That’s just how it works. Combustible items need to be kept away from any portable heaters and built-in furnaces. They need to be placed on stable surfaces where they cannot be tipped over and away from the reach of children and drapes. 

Stay Tidy

Cords need to be safely stored in order to prevent damage. It is a good idea to keep cords and wires out of reach of children and pets who can play with them or even begin to chew on them. Also, try to avoid wrapping cords too tightly around objects because that can unexpectedly cause overheating or for the cord to stretch. Never rest a cord on a hot surface because the insulation can be damaged or melted as well as the wires inside. 

Stay Away from Water

We think this one is pretty obvious, but do not keep your electronic devices near water. Water and electricity do not mix. Do not get your electrical appliances wet. Keeping them in a dry cool place does wonders in preventing shocks and electrocution. Wherever there is a risk of water, keep your electronics away from those areas. 

Secure Contractors is Here to Help!

If you are having any electrical issues, we encourage you to give us a call today! We are here to you and your family safe. There is no need to put yourself at risk. Let us handle it with all of the proper equipment and safety procedures. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top